Beautycounter launched a brand new exfoliating AHA mask this week and it’s a once-a-week game-changer for anyone looking for smoother, brighter skin.
It’s officially spring, and Beautycounter’s brand-new exfoliating mask couldn’t launch at a better time! After two years of wearing protective masks, you’ll want to put on the Reflect Effect AHA Smoothing Facial Mask. It will have your tired, dull skin looking brighter and smoother in no time!
While I am obsessed with these two serums for brighter skin, and use them both in my weekly routine, I am excited to add this new exfoliating product in my skincare arsenal. It really is a powerhouse for exfoliation and revealing smooth skin.
I’m giving you my full review in this post, and everything you need to know about how you can incorporate it into your skincare lineup, but spoiler alert — I love this mask!
Beautycounter Reflect Effect AHA Smoothing Facial Mask
While a serum typically is for everyday use, this mask is a more concentrated weekly or monthly treatment to give your skin a boost.
It’s still gentle, though, and great for all skin types.
It has both physical (bamboo) and chemical (acid) exfoliators to resurface the top layer of your face. And the gel formula is described as “bouncy.” It has a lovely feel going on, and it’s clear so it’s not so messy like many of the mud masks out there.
Exfoliation helps remove damaged and worn-out cells on the outermost layer of our skin, revealing healthier, more vibrant skin cells beneath. Regular exfoliation offers:
- More even skin texture
- More even skin tone
- Increased cell turnover, resulting in smoother skin
2x Exfoliation: Physical and Chemical
There are two main types of exfoliation: physical and chemical.
Physical exfoliants rely on particles or beads to slough away dead skin cells with light, physical force, while chemical exfoliants rely on acids to dissolve dead skin cells and clear pores. The mask’s formula includes both types:
- Bamboo particles: A gentle physical exfoliator from the stems of bamboo.
- Glycolic acid: The smallest AHA molecule, it absorbs easily into skin, effectively removing dead skin and leaving a brighter complexion.
- Phytic acid: Helps exfoliate buildup on skin to reduce dry, flaky skin, leaving a more even complexion.
- Saccharide Isomerate: a sugar-based moisturizer designed to nourish and hydrate.
How To Use The Mask
- Apply to dry skin after cleansing and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse using gentle, circular motions for maximum exfoliation—or use the bristle side of the silicone 3-in-1 Facial Tool for easy removal.
- Apply the mask once a week, followed by your favorite serum, moisturizer, and SPF if used during the daytime.
- Skip any other chemical exfoliating serums – the AHA mask and Overnight Resurfacing Peel should not be used on the same day.
How is it safer?
Some exfoliating masks can have very high levels of AHA, which can be irritating to skin, especially if you lean sensitive. Beautycounter restricts their AHA usage to a lower, yet effective level for maximum results without irritation.
As with all products, Beautycounter tests for trace contaminants to ensure this mask meets its rigorous safety standards.
When should I use this mask vs. the Overnight Resurfacing Peel?
This mask and the Overnight Resurfacing Peel deliver similar benefits, but there are specific uses for each.
- The Overnight Resurfacing Peel should be considered your maintenance serum that you can use every other night to help maintain soft, smooth skin and reveal more even skin tone.
- Think of the AHA mask as an extra potent boost of exfoliation that delivers quick results in just 10 minutes. Use it once per week or once or twice a month.
My Review Of The Mask
I’ve never been someone who does masks on the regular. I always forget! Probably because I don’t have a great spot for them in my routine.
I never want to do them at night when I’m tired, I am too rushed in the morning, they can be messy, etc. I’ve found the ideal time is actually before I hop in the shower so I can rinse it off in there.
I like this mask so much I’m finding myself doing it weekly and at my sink before bed. I’m truly obsessed and I’ve been savoring every last bit of my holiday version while waiting for this launch. The texture of it is the best part – it’s like a jellyfish! There isn’t much of a scent – I’d call it unscented.
My skin looks brighter and smoother as soon as I take it off. You know how the Overnight Peel makes your skin look amazing after a few uses? It’s kind of like the peel x10 – you get results faster because the potency is kicked up a notch. The physical exfoliators help too.
This is one of those products that almost anyone can add into their routine – whether it’s once a week or once a month. We could all use a little help with cell turnover and rejuvenation.
3-in-1 Silicone Mask Tool
You can get this 3-in-1 tool with the mask as a bundle here.
The 3-in-1 tool can be used for any mask, not just this one:
- Apply the mask with the spatula end.
- Wait 10 minutes for the mask to do its job!
- Remove the mask with water and the scrubby, bristle side.
- Work in post-mask skin care with the massage side for softer, smoother skin.
Would you like 20% off this mask!?
If you’re new to Beautycounter, use code CLEANFORALL20 for 20% off this mask and everything else in your cart.